Intro

A year or so after writing the original intro to this blog I find myself in somewhat different circumstances. Having finished my studies in 2011, procrastination is no longer the driving factor behind my pieces. As it turns out, I have joined 3 friends from varsity, two of which left London last July, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, for a trip home of a slightly different kind. A trip that allows me the luxury of not giving a continental about the fuel price but more about the direction of the wind and the gradient of the road as we endeavour to cycle back home to the city we all met, Cape Town . When time, money and UN's most recently added human right, internet access, is available I will be spending my time turning random notes, scribbles and possibly illustrations fit only for display in the age 5-7 category at the Bathurst Show in my leather-bound journal into readable content of varying natures. I'll do this to satisfy my own need to write crap as well as to ensure that memories made are never forgotten, much like the memories never remembered every weekend in my undergrad stint at UCT. If it turns out people read this and enjoy it...epic! My fellow adventurers can be followed on TomAndMattCycle.com and Along4TheCycle.blogspot.com.



Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Yoga Experiment


What exactly it was that possessed me to embark on a run still escapes me. Maybe it’s the stomach that is shrinking at a frustratingly slow rate even after 860km’s in the saddle. To add to the stupidity, I was running with Jim, a fitness freak of nature who casually decided to run up a mountain in Addis, and I wasn’t fully recovered from a bout of some sickness that started as a throat irritation before proceeding to all but shut down the sinuses before landing me with a phlegm-ridden cough. My chest was tight and nose running faster than my legs when I turned into the driveway of our mountain retreat, adding to which I had a good dual stitch going on and my calf was one optimistic movement away from cramping. Unfortunately, the latter duo couldn’t be blamed on the illness, rather from the naivety that led me to believe that a week of playing cricket during the day and drinking at night would somehow have a positive effect on my fitness levels. At least life amongst Eastern Cape farmers offered the consolation that I wasn’t the only one to be misled in such a fashion.

Breathing heavily, I stumbled into the lounge only to find a little yoga session on the go, spearheaded by an outrageously flexible Roby, whose every move was being attempted, all less successfully, by Tom, Matt, Daddy and Roby’s boyfriend, Michael. Near the end of their session of breathing and stretching in relative silence, Tom was showing how inflexible he had become since his knee injury while I noted to myself that the gap between his fingers and toes in full stretch was half that of mine when I - at-most annually - did the identical stretch.

Foolishly – it seems it was my day to play the village idiot – I sat down next to Tom attempting to replicate his stretch. I failed dismally. By this time the rest of the yoga class had retired from their session for a good chuckle, leaving Daddy behind with the enormous challenge of trying to get my fingers closer to my toes than to my knees. Considering he spent Friday through Sunday teaching drama and music to disabled children in a nearby town, I can only imagine Daddy thought the challenge an easy one in comparison. How wrong he was.

Within the first minutes of my debut Yoga class – something I had avoided at all costs after being put to shame a few years back in a Taebo class full of Kenton pensioners who could kick their feet up twice the height I managed – I gathered that breathing had an integral part to play in what I always considered a series of stretching exercises designed for earth-loving hippies. With my inability to achieve any notable breathing through my ailing nose, the impetus on breathing was all but lost on me.
Add to the fact that I was breathing like a Kudu shot in the neck – not by me, I’m a horrible shot – that I am not supple by any stretch of the imagination and any spectator has a show on their hands worthy of a circus in the days when it was still OK to parade blue-painted midgets around with Christmas hats and diapers. I can’t cross my legs – my knees are so high when I try that they act as a chin rest -, I can’t touch my toes unless my knees are bent at 90 degrees and when I was told to lie down with the back of my hands against the floor, my fingers curled up like a 90 year old with severe arthritis – think cricket umpire, Billy Bowden signalling a six. Maybe the fact that I was English speaking in my Afrikaans pre-primary wasn’t the only reason I was picked on.

While Daddy was talking in quiet, calm tones as I struggled to keep my eyes closed amongst the odd snigger here and there, my mind raced and gladly accepted the hypothesis that the reason my disgraceful lack of athletic ability that saw me running neck-to-neck alongside the 1st team props in the 100 metre trials in matric – we were all doing it as a joke although the hilarity wore off a bit when I heard my groin snap – despite my mother being awarded honours for her feats on the athletics track was simply because I had not unlocked the potential of my rusty old muscles on an eternal sabbatical. Wishful thinking.

Daddy muttered a number of things to me in an attempt to relax my body and mind, one of which was: “Think about what you’re going to do today”. Despite my struggles to synchronize my breathing in the hope that it might ease the pins and needles developing along my calf it wasn’t difficult to fit in the probable program for the day. Our days in the retreat have already become a blur of relaxation achieved through reading, writing and delving in a bit of Canasta and Scrabble with the last hours of the evening, after the days supply of solar power and the generators fuel has run out, spent staring into the blue and orange flickering flames keeping us warm on the patio of our forest hideout.

About Me